or Chinese ink. So called because it was first brought
from China. It is now made at home of lampblack and glue.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on India Ink from Infoplease:
- India ink: meaning and definitions - India ink: Definition and Pronunciation
- India Ink - India Ink or Chinese ink. So called because it was first brought from China. It is now made at home ...
- ink - ink ink, pigmented fluid used for writing and drawing, or a viscous compound used for printing, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index in-basket in-between inboard inboard-outboard inbond inborn inbound inbounds ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: I - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "I"