(Italian). Held in reserve, kept back, something done
privately, and not announced to the general public. (In pectore
[Latin], in the breast.)
Cardinals in petto.
Cardinals about to be elected, but not yet publicly announced.
Their names are in pectore (of the Pope).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on In Petto from Infoplease:
- in petto: meaning and definitions - in petto: Definition and Pronunciation
- Petto - Petto It petto. In secrecy, in reserve (Italian, in the breast). The pope creates cardinals in ...
- In Petto - In Petto (Italian). Held in reserve, kept back, something done privately, and not announced to the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index inpaint in pais in pari delicto inpatient in personam in petto inphase inpour in ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: I - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "I"