A layman who has church lands or ecclesiastical preferment.
(Latin, in-proprius, belonging to.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Impropriator from Infoplease:
- Impropriation - Impropriation Profits of ecclesiastical property in the hands of a layman. Appropriation is when ...
- Impropriator - Impropriator A layman who has church lands or ecclesiastical preferment. (Latin, in-proprius, ...
- vicar: meaning and definitions - vicar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Grey-coat Parson - Grey-coat Parson (A). An impropriator; a tenant who farms the tithes. Source: Dictionary of Phrase ...
- Cow - Cow The cow that nourished Ymir with four streams of milk was called Audhumla. (Scandinavian ...