(Old French, huzzer, “to shout aloud;” German, hussah! (See Hurrah.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Huzza from Infoplease:
- Huzza! - Huzza! (Old French, huzzer, “to shout aloud;” German, hussah! (See Hurrah.) Source: ...
- Amy Lowell: St. Helena, May, 1821 - Tap! Tap! Tap! Through the white tropic night. Tap! Tap! Beat the hammers, Unwearied, indefatigable. They are hanging dull black cloth about the dead.
- Hurrah' - Hurrah' the Hebrew . Our “Old Hundredth Psalm” begins with “Shout joyfully ...
- The Author's Earnest Cry And Prayer - Poems and Songs of Robert Burnsby Robert Burns The Twa Dogs The Ordination The Author's Earnest ...
- The True George Washington: Citizen and Office-Holder - Washington became a government servant before he became a voter, by receiving in 1749, or when he was seventeen years of age, the appointment of offic