(David), the historian, takes the lead among modern
philosophical sceptics. His great argument is this: It is more likely
that testimony should be false than that miracles should be true.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hume from Infoplease:
- Hume: meaning and definitions - Hume: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joseph Hume - Hume, Joseph Hume, Joseph, 1777–1855, English politician and reformer. Although a Tory in ...
- David Hume - Hume, David Hume, David , 1711–76, Scottish philosopher and historian. Educated at Edinburgh, ...
- Basil Cardinal Hume - Basil Cardinal Hume Age: 76 widely respected leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and ...
- Kirsty Hume - Kirsty Hume model Born: 9/4/1976 Birthplace: Glasgow, Scotland Considered one of the new breed of ...