(Old Mother). The famous dame of nursery mythology, who went to
the cupboard to fetch her poor dog a bone; but when she got there the
cupboard was bare, so the poor dog had none.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hubbard from Infoplease:
- Hubbard: meaning and definitions - Hubbard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Elbert Hubbard - Hubbard, Elbert Hubbard, Elbert, 1856–1915, American author and publisher, b. Bloomington, ...
- Mother Hubbard: meaning and definitions - Mother Hubbard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Charles Hubbard Judd - Judd, Charles Hubbard Judd, Charles Hubbard, 1873–1946, American psychologist, b. India. He ...
- L. Ron Hubbard - Biography of L. Ron Hubbard, Sci-fi author and founder of Scientology