A canopy, or seat fixed on the back of an elephant.
“Leading the array, three stately elephants marched, bearing the
Woons in gilded howdahs under gold umbrellas.” —J. W. Palmer: Up and Down the Irrawaddi, chap. xx. p. 169.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Howdah from Infoplease:
- howdah: meaning and definitions - howdah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Howdah - Howdah A canopy, or seat fixed on the back of an elephant. “Leading the array, three stately ...
- houdah: meaning and definitions - houdah: Definition and Pronunciation
- saddle - saddle saddle, seat or pad to support the rider on an animal, chiefly a horse. The saddles ...
- Elephant and Castle - Elephant and Castle A public-house sign at Newington, said to derive its name from the skeleton of ...