A measure of force. Watt estimated the “force” of a London
dray-horse, working eight hours a day, at 33,000 foot-pounds (q.v.) per minute. In calculating the horse-power of a steam-engine the
following is the formula:
times A times L times N33,000 deduct 10 for friction.
P, pressure (in lbs.) per sq. inch on the piston.
A, area (in inches) of the piston.
L, length (in feet) of the stroke.
N, number of strokes per minute.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Horse-power from Infoplease:
- Horse-power - Horse-power A measure of force. Watt estimated the “force” of a London dray-horse, ...
- horse: Bibliography - Bibliography See A. Hyland, Equus (1990); E. H. Edwards and C. Geddes, ed., The Complete Horse Book ...
- Galileo Galilei - Biography of Galileo Galilei, The inventor of the astronomical telescope
- Flash Point (Dao huo xian) - Starring Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Collin Chou, Ray Lui, Bingbing Fan
- Donkey Engine - Donkey Engine (A). A small engine of from two to four horse-power. Source: Dictionary of Phrase and ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring