(The). There is no such force. The Royal Marines are
either artillery or infantry; there are no cavalry marines. To belong
to the “Horse Marines” is a joke, meaning an awkward lubberly recruit.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Horse Marines from Infoplease:
- horse marine: meaning and definitions - horse marine: Definition and Pronunciation
- Horse Marines - Horse Marines (The). There is no such force. The Royal Marines are either artillery or infantry; ...
- Barrymore: Ethel Barrymore - Ethel Barrymore Lionel's sister, Ethel Barrymore, 1879–1959, b. Philadelphia, also began ...
- Jack Beeson - Beeson, Jack Beeson, Jack, 1921–, American composer, b. Muncie, Ind. Beeson studied at the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index hon Honan honcho Hond. honda Hondo Honduras hone Honecker Honegger honest honest ...