Our oldest historian is the Venerable Bede, who wrote in Latin
an Ecclesiastical History of very great merit (672-735). Of
secular historians, William of Poitiers, who wrote in Latin The
Gests or Deeds of William, Duke of Normandy and King of the English
(1020-1088). His contemporary was Ingulphus, who wrote a history of
Croyland Abbey (1030-1109). The oldest prose work in Early English is
Sir John Mandeville's account of his Eastern travels in 1356.
The Father of History.
Herodotos the Greek historian (B.C. 484-408). So called by Cicero. The Father of Ecclesiastical History. Eusebius of Caesare
Father of French History.
AndréDuchesne (1584-1640). Father of Historic Painting.
Polygnotos of Thao (flourished B.C. 463-435).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on History from Infoplease:
- history - history history, in its broadest sense, is the story of humanity's past. It also refers to the ...
- Classics from Literature and History - A collection of primary texts from classic literature and United States history.
- Skyscraper History - An overview of how our tallest buildings came to be
- Homework Center: Wars - Subjects » Geography » History » Language Arts » Mathematics » ...
- Costa Rica - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Costa Rica and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Costa Rica — map and flag of Costa Rica, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population, culture, religion, languages, largest cities
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring