(Sir John), M. D., botanist (1716-1775). He wrote some farces,
which called forth from Garrick the following couplet:
For physic and farces his equal there scarce is.
His farces are physic, his physic a farce is,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hill from Infoplease:
- hill: meaning and definitions - hill: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anita Hill - Anita Hill lawyer, educator, author, activist Born: 7/30/1956 Birthplace: Lone Tree, Okla. Hill ...
- Joe Hill - Hill, Joe Hill, Joe, 1879–1915, Swedish-American union organizer; b. Sweden, as Joseph ...
- Sir Rowland Hill - Hill, Sir Rowland Hill, Sir Rowland, 1795–1879, English educator, inventor, and postal ...
- Ambrose Powell Hill - Hill, Ambrose Powell Hill, Ambrose Powell, 1825–65, Confederate general in the American Civil ...