In great confusion; at sixes and sevens. A higgler is a pedlar
whose stores are all huddled together. Higgledy means after the fashion
of a higgler's basket; and piggledy is a ricochet word suggested
by litter; as, a pig's litter.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Higgledy-piggledy from Infoplease:
- higgledy-piggledy: meaning and definitions - higgledy-piggledy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Higgledy-piggledy - Higgledy-piggledy In great confusion; at sixes and sevens. A higgler is a pedlar whose stores are ...
- Helter-skelter - Helter-skelter Higgledy-piggledy; in hurry and confusion. The Latin hilariter-celeriter comes ...
- Sixes and Sevens - Sixes and Sevens (All). Illassorted; not matched, higgledy-piggledy. To be at sixes and sevens. ...
- Reduplicated - Reduplicated or Ricochet Words, of intensifying force. Chit-chat, click-clack, clitter-clatter, ...