The Persian ladies tinge the tips of their fingers with henna
to make them a reddish-yellow.
“The leaf of the henna-plant resembles that of the myrtle. The
blossom has a powerful fragrance: it grows like a feather about 18
inches long, forming a cluster of small yellow flowers.” —Baker: Nile Tribes, Abyssinia, chap. i. p. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Henna from Infoplease:
- henna - henna henna, name for a reddish or black hair dye obtained from the powdered leaves and young ...
- henna: meaning and definitions - henna: Definition and Pronunciation
- Night of Henna - Starring Joyce Carlin, Nancy Carlin, Poni Chesser, Reef Karim, Pooja Kumar
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/henna - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Henna - Henna The Persian ladies tinge the tips of their fingers with henna to make them a reddish-yellow. ...