To have some hemp in your pocket. To have luck on your side in the
most adverse circumstances. The phrase is French (Avoir de la
corde-de-pendu duns sa poche), referring to the popular notion
that hemp brings good luck.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hemp from Infoplease:
- hemp - hemp hemp, common name for a tall annual herb (Cannabis sativa) of the family Cannabinaceae, native ...
- Tampico hemp - Tampico hemp Tampico hemp, fiber of various tropical American plants, among them the agave (see ...
- Manila hemp - Manila hemp Manila hemp, the most important of the cordage fibers. It is obtained chiefly from the ...
- Madras hemp: meaning and definitions - Madras hemp: Definition and Pronunciation
- sun hemp: meaning and definitions - sun hemp: Definition and Pronunciation