A dangerous passage between Great Barn Island and Long Island,
North America. The Dutch settlers of New York called it Hoellgat
(whirling-gut) corrupted into Hell-gate. Flood Rock, its most
dangerous reef, has been blown up by U.S. engineers.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hell Gate from Infoplease:
- Hell Gate: meaning and definitions - Hell Gate: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hell Gate - Hell Gate Hell Gate, narrow channel of the East River, SE N.Y., between Wards Island and Astoria, ...
- Hell Gate - Hell Gate A dangerous passage between Great Barn Island and Long Island, North America. The Dutch ...
- Hell Gates - Hell Gates according to Milton, are nine-fold—three of brass, three of iron, and three of ...
- Missoula - Missoula Missoula , city (1990 pop. 42,918), seat of Missoula co., W Mont., on the Clark Fork of ...