Head of Cattle
Cattle are counted by the head; manufacturing labourers
by hands, as “How many hands do you employ?” horses by the
nose (See Nose); guests at dinner by the cover, as “Covers
for ten,” etc. (See Numbers, Hand.)
In contracting for meals the contractor takes the job at so much “a
head” —i.e. for each person.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Head of Cattle from Infoplease:
- Head of Cattle - Head of Cattle Cattle are counted by the head; manufacturing labourers by hands, as “How many ...
- Joseph Farwell Glidden - Joseph Farwell Glidden inventor of barbed wire Born: 1/18/1813 Birthplace: Charlestown, N.H. ...
- Charles Goodnight - Goodnight, Charles Goodnight, Charles, 1836–1929, Texas cattleman, b. Macoupin co., Ill. He ...
- Pocket Money - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Dynamite Warrior - Starring Dan Chupong, Panna Rittikai, Phutiphong Sriwat (Leo Putt), Samat Thipthamai, Kanyapak Suwannakoot