Strictly speaking is a bag to carry oats in. (See
Haver-Cakes.) It now means a soldier's ration-bag slung from the
shoulder; a gunner's leather-case for carrying charges.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Haversack from Infoplease:
- haversack: meaning and definitions - haversack: Definition and Pronunciation
- Haversack - Haversack Strictly speaking is a bag to carry oats in. (See Haver-Cakes.) It now means a ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index has Hasa Hasan Hasanlu has-been Hasbrouck Heights Hasdrubal Hasek hasenpfeffer ...
- Walk, Don't Run - Starring Cary Grant, Samantha Eggar, Jim Hutton, John Standing, Miiko Taka
- Uniforms of the Civil War - A guide to Civil War uniforms|From blue to gray and many colors in between, the clothing of the Civil War soldier was often far from uniform