A doss or footstool made of hesg (sedge or rushes).
“Hassocks should be gotten in the fens, and laid at the foot of the
said bank ... where need required.” —Dugdale: Imbanking, p.
“The knees and hassocks are well-nigh divorced.” Cowper.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hassock from Infoplease:
- hassock: meaning and definitions - hassock: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hassock - Hassock A doss or footstool made of hesg (sedge or rushes). “Hassocks should be gotten in the ...
- Suggestions for spelling of hassan-02 - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index has Hasa Hasan Hasanlu has-been Hasbrouck Heights Hasdrubal Hasek hasenpfeffer ...
- Doss - Doss A hassock stuffed with straw; a bed—properly, a straw bed; whence the cant word for a ...