A doss or footstool made of hesg (sedge or rushes).
“Hassocks should be gotten in the fens, and laid at the foot of the
said bank ... where need required.” —Dugdale: Imbanking, p.
“The knees and hassocks are well-nigh divorced.” Cowper.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hassock from Infoplease:
- hassock: meaning and definitions - hassock: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hassock - Hassock A doss or footstool made of hesg (sedge or rushes). “Hassocks should be gotten in the ...
- Doss - Doss A hassock stuffed with straw; a bed—properly, a straw bed; whence the cant word for a ...
- Bass - Bass Matting made of bast, that is the lime or linden tree. Dutch, bast, bark; Swedish, basta, to ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: H - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "H"