(Clarissa). The heroine of Richardson's novel of that
name. In order to avoid a marriage urged upon her by her parents, she
casts herself on the protection of a lover, who grossly abuses the
confidence thus reposed in him. He subsequently proposes to marry her,
but Clarissa rejects the offer, and retires from the world to cover her
shame and die.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Harlowe from Infoplease:
- Harlow: meaning and definitions - Harlow: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jean Harlow - Harlow, Jean Harlow, Jean, 1911–37, American movie star, b. Kansas City, Mo., as Harlean ...
- Shalom Harlow - Shalom Harlow model, TV personality Born: 12/5/1974 Birthplace: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada ...
- Harlow - Harlow Harlow, city (1991 pop. 79,150) and district, Essex, E England. Harlow was designated one of ...
- Harlow Shapley - Shapley, Harlow Shapley, Harlow , 1885–1972, American astronomer, b. Nashville, Mo., grad. ...