The maritime cities of Germany, which belonged to the Hanseatic
“The Hanse towns of Lübeck, Bremen, and Hamburg are commonwealths
even now (1877).” —Freeman: General Sketch, chap.x. p. 174.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hanse Towns from Infoplease:
- Hanseatic League - Hanseatic League Hanseatic League , mercantile league of medieval German towns. It was amorphous in ...
- Hanse towns - Hanse towns: Hanse towns: see Hanseatic League.
- Hanse Towns - Hanse Towns The maritime cities of Germany, which belonged to the Hanseatic League (q.v.). ...
- Hansetown: meaning and definitions - Hansetown: Definition and Pronunciation
- Frederick HALTERMAN - Frederick HALTERMAN (1831-1907) HALTERMAN, Frederick, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born in ...