Exchequer. “Hanaper office,” an office where all writs relating
to the public were formerly kept in a hamper (in hanaperio).
Hanaper is a cover for a hanap.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hanaper from Infoplease:
- hanaper: meaning and definitions - hanaper: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hanaper - Hanaper Exchequer. “Hanaper office,” an office where all writs relating to the public ...
- Hanap - Hanap A costly goblet used at one time on state occasions. Sometimes the cup used by our Lord at ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Han Hanafi Hanahan hanaper Hanbali Han Cities Hancock hand hand ax handbag ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: H - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "H"