The reek of Mr. Patrick Hamilton has infected as many as it did
blow upon, i.e. Patrick Hamilton was burnt to death by Cardinal Beaton,
and the horror of the deed contributed not a little to the Reformation.
As the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church, so the smoke or
reek of Hamilton's fire diffused the principles for which he suffered
Latimer, at the stake, said: “We shall this day light up such a
candle in England as shall never be put out.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hamilton from Infoplease:
- Hamilton, city, Bermuda - Hamilton Hamilton, city (1990 est. pop. 3,100), capital of Bermuda, on Bermuda Island. It is a port ...
- Hamilton, city, United States - Hamilton Hamilton, city (1990 pop. 61,368), seat of Butler co., SW Ohio, on the Great Miami River; ...
- Hamilton, city, New Zealand - Hamilton Hamilton, city (1996 pop. 108,429), N central North Island, New Zealand, on the Waikato ...
- Hamilton, town, Scotland - Hamilton Hamilton, town (1991 pop. 51,667), South Lanarkshire, S central Scotland, near the ...
- Hamilton, city, Canada - Hamilton Hamilton, city (1991 pop. 318,499), S Ont., Canada, at the western end of Lake Ontario. It ...