A familiar contraction of Harry (for Henry). Similarly, Dol
is a contraction of Dorothy; Mol, of Mary, etc.
The substitution of P for M as the initial letter of
proper names is seen in such examples as Polly for Molly, Patty for Martha, Peggy for Margy (i.e. Margaret),
etc. (See Elizabeth.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hal from Infoplease:
- Hals: meaning and definitions - Hals: Definition and Pronunciation
- Halle, town, Belgium - Halle Halle , Fr. Hal, commune (1991 pop. 32,758), Flemish Brabant prov., central Belgium, on the ...
- Hal: meaning and definitions - Hal: Definition and Pronunciation
- HAL 9000 - Biography of HAL 9000, The supercomputer from 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Frans Hals - Hals, Frans Hals, Frans , c.1580–1666, Dutch painter of portraits and genre scenes, b. ...