The great Persian lyrist, called the “Persian Anacreon”
(fourteenth century). His odes are called ghazels, and are both
sweet and graceful. The word hafiz (retainer) is a degree given
to those who know by heart the Koran and Hadith (traditions).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hafiz from Infoplease:
- hafiz: meaning and definitions - hafiz: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hafiz - Hafiz Hafiz [Arab.,=one who has memorized the Qur'an], 1319–1389?, Persian lyric poet, b. ...
- Abd al-Hafiz - Abd al-Hafiz Abd al-Hafiz , 1875?–1937, sultan of Morocco (1908–12). Placed on the ...
- Hafiz - Hafiz The great Persian lyrist, called the “Persian Anacreon” (fourteenth century). His ...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: From Hafiz - I said to heaven that glowed above, O hide yon sun-filled zone, Hide all the stars you boast; For, in the world of love And estimation true, The heape