is the Saxon Grenë-wic (green village), formerly called
Grenawic, and in old Latin authors “Grenoviam viridis.” Some
think it is a compound of grian-wic (the sun city).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Greenwich from Infoplease:
- Greenwich, town, United States - Greenwich Greenwich , residential town (1990 pop. 58,441), Fairfield co., SW Conn., on the Mianus ...
- Greenwich, borough, Greater London, England - Greenwich Greenwich , outer borough (1991 pop. 200,800) of Greater London, SE England, on the ...
- Royal Greenwich Observatory: meaning and definitions - Royal Greenwich Observatory: Definition and Pronunciation
- Millennial Markers - Millennial Markers Voices and visions of the next millennium by Ricco Villanueva Siasoco Millennium ...
- East Greenwich: meaning and definitions - East Greenwich: Definition and Pronunciation