This public-house sign represents the gamekeeper, who used at
one time to be dressed in green.
But the `Green Man' shall I pass by unsung,
Which mine own James upon his sign-post hung?
His sign, his image— for he once was seen
A squire's attendant, clad in keeper's green.
The men who let off fireworks were called Green-men in the
reign of James I.
“Have you any squibs, any green-man in your shows?” —The Seven
Champions of Christondom.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Green Man from Infoplease:
- The Green Man - Starring Alastair Sim, George Cole, Terry-Thomas, Jill Adams, Raymond Huntley
- Green Man - Green Man This public-house sign represents the gamekeeper, who used at one time to be dressed in ...
- Henry Treece - Treece, Henry Treece, Henry, 1912–66, English poet and novelist. He served as an intelligence ...
- Amy Lowell: An Aquarium - Streaks of green and yellow iridescence, Silver shiftings, Rings veering out of rings, Silver — gold — Grey-green opaqueness sliding down, With sharp
- Swamp Thing - Starring Louis Jourdan, Adrienne Barbeau, Ray Wise, David Hess, Nicholas Worth
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring