The Count de Grammont's short memory. When the Count left
England he was followed by the brothers of La Belle Hamilton, who, with
drawn swords, asked him if he had not forgotten something. “True,
true,” said the Count; “I promised to marry your sister,” and instantly
went back to repair the lapse by making the young lady Countess of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Grammont from Infoplease:
- Geeraardsbergen - Geeraardsbergen Geeraardsbergen , Fr. Grammont, commune (1991 pop. 30,280), East Flanders prov., W ...
- Grammont - Grammont The Count de Grammont's short memory. When the Count left England he was followed by ...
- Grammont - Grammont: Grammont: see Geeraardsbergen, Belgium.
- Anthony Hamilton - Hamilton, Anthony Hamilton, Anthony, 1646?–1720, French author of Scottish descent, b. ...
- Gramont, Philibert, comte de - Gramont, Philibert, comte de Gramont, Philibert, comte de , 1621–1707, French courtier at the ...