A student at one of the universities; so called because he
wears an academical gown.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gownsman from Infoplease:
- gownsman: meaning and definitions - gownsman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gownsman - Gownsman A student at one of the universities; so called because he wears an academical gown. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index G.O.P. gopak Gopala gopher gopher ball gopher plant gopher snake Gopher State ...
- Lawyer's Bags - Lawyer's Bags Some red, some blue. In the Common Law, red bags are reserved for Q.C.'s and ...
- Barristers' Bags - Barristers' Bags In the Common Law bar, barristers' bags are either red or dark blue. Red ...