(3 syl.). American cockneys. New York is called satirically
“Such things as would strike ... a stranger in our beloved Gotham,
and places to which our regular Gothamites (American cockneys) are wont
to repair.” —Fraser's Magazine: Sketches of American Society.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gothamites from Infoplease:
- Gotham: meaning and definitions - Gotham: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gothamites - Gothamites (3 syl.). American cockneys. New York is called satirically Gotham. “Such things ...
- Cold Creek Manor - Starring Dennis Quaid, Sharon Stone, Stephen Dorff, Juliette Lewis, Christopher Plummer
- Batman - Starring Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Jack Palance, Pat Hingle
- Gotham - Gotham Wise Men of Gotham—fools. Many tales of folly have been fathered on the Gothamites, ...