According to legend, this delicate thread is the ravelling of
the Virgin Mary's winding-sheet, which fell to earth on her ascension
to heaven. It is said to be God's seam, i.e. God's thread.
Philologically it is the Latin gossipin-us, cotton.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gossamer from Infoplease:
- gossamer: meaning and definitions - gossamer: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gossamer - Gossamer According to legend, this delicate thread is the ravelling of the Virgin Mary's ...
- What does it mean? - gossamer --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which looks most like gossamer? a ...
- XIV - Poemsby Emily Dickinson Memorials XV XIV I went to heaven, — 'T was a small town, Lit ...
- Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera - Gutiérrez Nájera, Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera, Manuel , 1859–95, ...