Jurymen, who are the sponsors of the criminal.
“In christening time thou shalt have two godfathers. Had I been
judge, thou shouldst have had ten more to bring thee to the gallows,
not to the font.” —Shakespeare: Merchant of Venice, iv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Godfathers from Infoplease:
- godfather: meaning and definitions - godfather: Definition and Pronunciation
- Godfather, The: meaning and definitions - Godfather, The: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Godfather - Starring Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, James Caan, Richard S. Castellano
- The Godfather/The Godfather Part II/The Godfather Part III (1972)/(1974)/(1990) - The Godfather/The Godfather Part II/The Godfather Part III (1972)/(1974)/(1990) Director: Francis ...
- The Last Godfather - Starring Harvey Keitel, Jason Mewes, Blake Clark, Jon Polito, Michael Rispoli