To stand godfather. To pay the reckoning, godfathers being
generally chosen for the sake of the present they are expected to make
the child at the christening or in their wills.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Godfather from Infoplease:
- godfather: meaning and definitions - godfather: Definition and Pronunciation
- Godfather, The: meaning and definitions - Godfather, The: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Godfather - Starring Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, James Caan, Richard S. Castellano
- The Godfather/The Godfather Part II/The Godfather Part III (1972)/(1974)/(1990) - The Godfather/The Godfather Part II/The Godfather Part III (1972)/(1974)/(1990) Director: Francis ...
- The Last Godfather - Starring Harvey Keitel, Jason Mewes, Blake Clark, Jon Polito, Michael Rispoli