(A). A Sandemanian; a follower of John Glass (eighteenth
century). Members of this Scotch sect are admitted by a “holy kiss,”
and abstain from all animal food which has not been well drained of
blood. John Glass condemned all national establishments of religion,
and maintained the Congregational system. Robert Sandeman was one of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Glassite from Infoplease:
- Glassites - Glassites: Glassites: see Glas, John.
- John Glas - Glas or Glass, John Glas or Glass, John , 1695–1773, Scottish minister, founder of an ...
- Glassite - Glassite (A). A Sandemanian; a follower of John Glass (eighteenth century). Members of this Scotch ...
- Sandemanians - Sandemanians or Glassites. A religious party expelled from the Church of Scotland for maintaining ...
- Encyclopedia: Protestant Denominations - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Protestant Denominations.