The sloping mass on the outer edge of the covered way in
fortification. Immediately without the “ditches” of the place
fortified, there is a road of communication all round the fortress
(about thirty feet wide), having on its exterior edge a covered mass of
earth eight feet high, sloping off gently towards the open country. The
road is technically called the covered way, and the sloping mass
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Glacis from Infoplease:
- glacis: meaning and definitions - glacis: Definition and Pronunciation
- Glacis - Glacis The sloping mass on the outer edge of the covered way in fortification. Immediately without ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Gioconda, La giocoso Giono Giordano Giorgione Giotto gip gipon Gipsy giraffe ...
- Covered Way - Covered Way in fortification. (See Glacis.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham ...
- February - February The month of purification amongst the ancient Romans. (Latin, februo, to purify by ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring