(g soft) is not the Julyflower, but the
French giroflée, from girofle (a clove), called by
Chaucer “gilofre.” The common stock, the wallflower, the rocket, the
clove pink, and several other plants are so called. (Greek karuophullon; Latin, caryophyllum, the clove gillyflower.)
The fairest flowers o' the season
Are our carnations and streaked gillyflowers.
Shakespeare: Winter's Tale, iv. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gillyflower from Infoplease:
- wallflower - wallflower wallflower, Mediterranean perennial (Cheiranthus cheiri) of the family Cruciferae ...
- stock, in botany - stock stock, in botany, common name for any species of the genus Matthiola, for Malcomia maritima ...
- gillyflower - gillyflower: gillyflower: see pink; stock; wallflower.
- gillyflower: meaning and definitions - gillyflower: Definition and Pronunciation
- pink - pink pink, common name for some members of the Caryophyllaceae, a family of small herbs found ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring