(g soft). A contraction of Gibel al Tari (Gibal
Tar), “mountain of Tari.” This Tari ben Zeyad was an Arabian general
who, under the orders of Mousa, landed at Calpë in 710, and utterly
defeated Roderick, the Gothic King of Spain. Cape Tarifa is named from
the same general.
Gibraltar of Greece.
A precipitous rock 700 feet above the sea, in Nauplia (Greece).
Gibraltar of the New World. Cape Diamond, in the province of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gibraltar from Infoplease:
- Gibraltar - Information on Gibraltar — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Gibraltar - Map of Gibraltar & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Rock of Gibraltar: meaning and definitions - Rock of Gibraltar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gibraltar - Gibraltar Gibraltar , British overseas territory (2005 est. pop. 27,900), 2.5 sq mi (6.5 sq km), on ...
- Gibraltar: meaning and definitions - Gibraltar: Definition and Pronunciation
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring