(Djaf-fir). Pacha of Abydos, and father of Zuleika. He
tells her he intends to marry her to Kara Osman Ogloo, governor of
Magnesia; but Zuleika has betrothed herself to her cousin Selim. The
lovers flee, Giaffir shoots Selim, Zuleika dies of grief, and the pacha
lives on, a heart-broken old man, ever calling to the winds, “Where is
my daughter?” and echo answers, “Where?” (Byron: Bride of Abydos.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Giaffir from Infoplease:
- Giaffir - Giaffir (Djaf-fir). Pacha of Abydos, and father of Zuleika. He tells her he intends to marry her to ...
- Abdallah - Abdallah Abdall′ah the father of Mahomet, was so beautiful, that when he married Amina, 200 ...
- Zuleika - Zuleika Daughter of Giaffir, Pacha of Abydos. She is all purity and loveliness. Her intelligence, ...
- Se lim - Se lim Son of `Abdallah and cousiu of Zuleika (3 syl.). When Giaffir (2 syl.) murdered Abdallah, he ...
- Bride of Abydos - Bride of Abydos Zuleika, daughter of Giaffir, Pacha of Abydos. As she was never wed, she should be ...