(St.). The French St. Swithin, June 19th. (See
Swithin.) In 1725, Bulliot, a French banker, made a bet that, as it
rained on St. Gervais's Day, it would rain more or less for forty days
afterwards. The bet was taken by so many people that the entire
property of Bulliot was pledged. The bet was lost, and the banker was
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gervais from Infoplease:
- gervais: meaning and definitions - gervais: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ricky Gervais - Biography of Ricky Gervais, The creator of The Office and Extras
- John Lewis GERVAIS - John Lewis GERVAIS (1741-1798) GERVAIS, John Lewis, a Delegate from South Carolina; born of ...
- Gervais - Gervais (St.). The French St. Swithin, June 19th. (See Swithin.) In 1725, Bulliot, a French banker, ...
- The Invention of Lying - Starring Ricky Gervais, Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill, Louis C.K., Jeffrey Tambor