from the Latin, genu (the knee); so called from the bend
made there by the Adriatic. The whole of Italy is called a man's leg,
and this is his knee.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Genoa from Infoplease:
- Conference of Genoa - Genoa, Conference of Genoa, Conference of, 1922, at Genoa, Italy. Representatives of 34 nations ...
- genoa: meaning and definitions - genoa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Genoa - Genoa Genoa , Ital. Genova, city (1991 pop. 678,771), capital of Genoa prov. and of Liguria, NW ...
- Genoa: History - History An ancient town of the Ligures, Genoa flourished under Roman rule. Around the 10th cent. it ...
- Genoa: Points of Interest - Points of Interest Among Genoa's notable buildings are the Cathedral of San Lorenzo (rebuilt in ...