(g hard), in Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel,
means Brussels, where Charles II. long resided while he was in exile.
Had thus old David [Charles II.] ...
Not dared, when fortune called him, to be king,
At Gath an exile he might still remain.
Tell it not in Gath.
Don't let your enemies hear it. Gath was famous as being the
birthplace of the giant Goliath.
“Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon; lest
the daughters of the Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of the
uncircumcised triumph.”—2 Sam. i. 20.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gath from Infoplease:
- Gath - Gath Gath , unidentified royal city of the Philistines, on the borders of Judah. In the Bible, it ...
- Moresheth-gath - Moresheth-gath Moresheth-gath , in the Bible, town, SW ancient Palestine. It was the home of the ...
- Gath-hepher - Gath-hepher Gath-hepher , in the Bible, town, ancient Palestine, near Nazareth. It was the home of ...
- Gath-rimmon - Gath-rimmon Gath-rimmon , in the Bible. 1. Town, W central ancient Palestine. 2. Town, central ...
- Ezekiel Candler GATHINGS - Ezekiel Candler GATHINGS (1903-1979) GATHINGS, Ezekiel Candler, a Representative from Arkansas; ...