(g hard). What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the
gander. Both must be treated exactly alike. Applesauce is just as
good for one as the other. (Anglo-Saxon gós, related to gons
and gans. The d and r of gan-a are merely
euphonic; the a being the masculine suffix. Thus han-a
was the masculine of hen. Latin, anser.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gander from Infoplease:
- Gander - Gander Gander, town (1991 pop. 10,339), NE Newfoundland, N.L., Canada. Gander's airport, an ...
- gander: meaning and definitions - gander: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/gander - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Gander - Gander (g hard). What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Both must be treated ...
- Gander-month - Gander-month Those four weeks when the “monthly nurse” rules the house with despotic ...