(g hard). A corruption of gamene. Stuff to impose
upon one's credulity; chaff. (Anglo-Saxon, gamen, scoffing; our
game, as “You are making game of me.”)
(g hard) means the leg, not the buttock. (French, jambon,
the leg, jambe; Italian, gamba.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gammon from Infoplease:
- gammon: meaning and definitions - gammon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gammon - Gammon (g hard). A corruption of gamene. Stuff to impose upon one's credulity; chaff. ...
- This So-Called Disaster - Starring T-Bone Burnett, James Gammon, Woody Harrelson, Cheech Marin, Nick Nolte
- Cabin Boy - Starring Chris Elliott, Ritch Brinkley, James Gammon, Ricki Lake, Brian Doyle-Murray
- Hit - Hit A great hit. A piece of good luck. From the game hit and miss, or the game of backgammon, where ...