(g hard). A festive day; a day when people put on their
best attire. (Spanish, gala, court dress; Italian, gala,
finery; French, gala, pomp.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gala Day from Infoplease:
- Gala Day - Gala Day (g hard). A festive day; a day when people put on their best attire. (Spanish, gala, court ...
- Problems - Poemsby Emily Dickinson XLI The Juggler of Day Problems Bring me the sunset in a cup, Reckon the ...
- THE VERMILION CLIFFS. - THE PHYSICAL GEOLOGY OF THE GRAND CAñON DISTRICT. By Clarence E. Dutton. THE TRIAS. THE ...
- Scenes from the Faust of Goethe - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley Stanzas from ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Huckleberries - There was a great clashing of tin pails, much running to and fro, and frequent demands for something to eat, one August afternoon, for the boys were g