A contraction of Gaid-heals (hidden rovers). The
inhabitants of Scotland who maintained their ground in the Highlands
against the Celts.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gaels from Infoplease:
- Gael: meaning and definitions - Gael: Definition and Pronunciation
- Fine Gael - Fine Gael Fine Gael , Irish political party. Formed in 1933, it was the successor of the party ...
- Gaels - Gaels A contraction of Gaid-heals (hidden rovers). The inhabitants of Scotland who maintained their ...
- Clan-na-Gael - Clan-na-Gael (The). An Irish Fenian organisation founded in Philadelphia in 1870, and known in ...
- Amores Perros - Amores Perros Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu Writer: Guillermo Arriaga ...