To be in a funk may be the Walloon “In de fonk zün,” literally to “be in the smoke.” Colloquially to be in a state of
trepidation from uncertainty or apprehension of evil.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Funk from Infoplease:
- funk: meaning and definitions - funk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Casimir Funk - Funk, Casimir Funk, Casimir , 1884–1967, American biochemist, b. Poland, Ph.D. Univ. of Bern, ...
- Isaac Kauffman Funk - Isaac Kauffman Funk lexicographer, publisher Born: 9/10/1839 Birthplace: Clifton, Ohio After 9 ...
- funked: meaning and definitions - funked: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bob Funk - Starring Rachael Leigh Cook, Amy Ryan, Stephen Root, Khleo Thomas, Grace Zabriskie