Flattering nonsense, palaver. In Wales it is a food made of oatmeal
steeped in water and kept till it has become sour. In Cheshire and
Lancashire it is the prepared skin of oatmeal mixed with honey, ale, or
milk; pap; blancmange. (Welsh, llymry, wash-brew, from llym,
sour or sharp.)
“You came ... with your red coats and flashing buttons ... and her
head got turned with your flummery.” —Simms: The Partizans,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flummery from Infoplease:
- flummery: meaning and definitions - flummery: Definition and Pronunciation
- Flummery - Flummery Flattering nonsense, palaver. In Wales it is a food made of oatmeal steeped in water and ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index FLRA flu flub flubdub fluctuant fluctuate fluctuation flucytosine flue flue-cure ...
- The Negro Exodus - Selected Essays in Black History 3 - An Appeal to Congress for Impa... My Escape from Slavery - 5 ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: F - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "F"