[a stone ]. An idol of the ancient Vandals settled in
Lusace. It was a huge stone, draped, wearing a lion's skin over its
shoulders, and designed to represent death. Mr. Lower says that the
town of Flint in North Wales is named in honour of this stone deity,
and gives Alwin Flint in Suffolk as another example. (Pat. Brit.) The Welsh call Flint Flint Teg-cingl (Flin's beautiful band or
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flins from Infoplease:
- Flin Flon - Flin Flon Flin Flon , city (1991 pop. in Manitoba, 7,119; in Saskatchewan, 330), on the Man.-Sask. ...
- Flins - Flins [a stone ]. An idol of the ancient Vandals settled in Lusace. It was a huge stone, draped, ...
- flinders: meaning and definitions - flinders: Definition and Pronunciation
- Petrie: meaning and definitions - Petrie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Manitoba: Economy and Higher Education - Economy and Higher Education In S Manitoba are expanses of wheat, barley, oats, rye, and flax. The ...