Carbonic dioxide gas. Dr. Black gave it this name, because
carbonate of magnesia evolved by heat carbonic acid, that is, MgO. CO2 evolved CO2, thereby proving that CO2
(carbonic acid) is a “fixed air.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fixed Air from Infoplease:
- Fixed Air - Fixed Air Carbonic dioxide gas. Dr. Black gave it this name, because carbonate of magnesia evolved ...
- Aquarius: meaning and definitions - Aquarius: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joseph Black - Black, Joseph Black, Joseph, 1728–99, Scottish chemist and physician, b. France. He was ...
- Aerated Water - Aërated Water Water impregnated with carbonic acid gas, called fixed air. Source: Dictionary ...
- chemistry: History of Chemistry - History of Chemistry The earliest practical knowledge of chemistry was concerned with metallurgy, ...