(Norman). Son of; as Fitz-Herbert, Fitz-William, Fitz-Peter,
etc. It is sometimes applied to illegitimate children, as
Fitz-Clarence, Fitz-roy, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fitz from Infoplease:
- Fitz-Greene Halleck - Halleck, Fitz-Greene Halleck, Fitz-Greene , 1790–1867, American poet, b. Guilford, Conn. He ...
- Fitz-John Porter - Porter, Fitz-John Porter, Fitz-John, 1822–1901, Union general in the American Civil War, b. ...
- Halleck: meaning and definitions - Halleck: Definition and Pronunciation
- James Fitz RANDOLPH - James Fitz RANDOLPH (1791-1872) RANDOLPH, James Fitz, (father of Theodore Fitz Randolph), a ...
- Theodore Fitz RANDOLPH - Theodore Fitz RANDOLPH (1826-1883) Senate Years of Service: 1875-1881 Party: Democrat RANDOLPH, ...