An Andrew Ferrara. A broadsword or claymore of the best
quality, bearing the name of Andrea Ferrara, one of the Italian family
whose swords were famous in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Genuine “Andrea Ferraras” have a crown marked on the blade.
My father had an Andrea Ferrara, which had been in the family about
a century. It had a basket-hilt, and the name was distinctly stamped
on the blade.
“We'll put in bail, boy, old Andrew Ferrara shall lodge his
security.” —Scott: Waverley, chap.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ferrara from Infoplease:
- Ferrara - Ferrara Ferrara , city (1991 pop. 138,015), capital of Ferrara prov., in Emilia-Romagna, N Italy. ...
- Ferrara: meaning and definitions - Ferrara: Definition and Pronunciation
- Council of Ferrara-Florence - Ferrara-Florence, Council of Ferrara-Florence, Council of, 1438–45, second part of the 17th ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ferrara - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Ferrara - Ferrara An Andrew Ferrara. A broadsword or claymore of the best quality, bearing the name of Andrea ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring